FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Medicine forums » cardiology
Diuretic Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Robert11
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Diuretic Question Reply with quote

Hello:

My M.D. had me try a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide, 12.5 mg/day) to see if
it had any effect on lowering my blood p.

Doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Just trying to learn, and am curious:

Does this approach "typically" have any effect, and work out
for many folks who utilize it ?

BTW: any real solid evidence that eating a bananana (due to its Potassium
content)
actually help at all ?

Thanks,
B.
Back to top
nospam7@heartmdphd.com
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Posts: 470

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Diuretic Question Reply with quote

Robert11 wrote:
Quote:
Hello:

My M.D. had me try a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide, 12.5 mg/day) to see if
it had any effect on lowering my blood p.

Doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Just trying to learn, and am curious:

Does this approach "typically" have any effect, and work out
for many folks who utilize it ?

Many folks need 25 mg to lower their BP. The BP lowering effect can
take up to 7 days to become apparent. Sometimes longer if the diet has
not been appropriately sodium restricted.

Quote:
BTW: any real solid evidence that eating a bananana (due to its Potassium
content)
actually help at all ?

It helps to prevent the potential side effect of potassium depletion
from the hydrochlorthiazide.

Quote:
Thanks

You are welcome.

All thanks and praise belong to the LORD, Whom I love with all my
heart, soul, mind, and strength.

Prayerfully in Christ's amazing love,

Andrew B. Chung
Cardiologist, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
http://HeartMDPhD.com/TheTruth
Back to top
Peabody
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Diuretic Question Reply with quote

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD says...

Quote:
Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

My M.D. had me try a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide,
12.5 mg/day) to see if it had any effect on lowering my
blood p.

Doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Just trying to learn, and am curious:

Does this approach "typically" have any effect, and
work out for many folks who utilize it ?

Many folks need 25 mg to lower their BP. The BP
lowering effect can take up to 7 days to become
apparent. Sometimes longer if the diet has not been
appropriately sodium restricted.

BTW: any real solid evidence that eating a bananana
(due to its Potassium content) actually help at all ?

It helps to prevent the potential side effect of
potassium depletion from the hydrochlorthiazide.

What andrew said.

Also, the combination of a thiazide diuretic with an ACE
inhibitor may be particularly effective in reducing BP. In
some people, this particular combination may produce a
reduction greater than the sum of the individual effects of
the drugs taken alone.

And ACE inhibitors have the opposite effect on potassium as
thaizides, so the combination may work pretty well on the
potassium front (but you would still need to check potassium
periodically).

The reason I bring this up is that you might find the side
effects to be less from adding a modest dose of ACE
inhibitor than from increasing the HCTZ dose. Particularly
if you are sexually active. Altace might be a good ACE
inhibitor to try.
Back to top
Jason
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 1120

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Diuretic Question Reply with quote

In article <GsudnY5YzovdTyHZnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@comcast.com>, "Robert11"
<rgsros@notme.com> wrote:

Hello:

My M.D. had me try a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide, 12.5 mg/day) to see if
it had any effect on lowering my blood p.

Doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Just trying to learn, and am curious:

Does this approach "typically" have any effect, and work out
for many folks who utilize it ?

BTW: any real solid evidence that eating a bananana (due to its Potassium
content)
actually help at all ?

Thanks,
B.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,
You should have received a print-out from the pharmacist. If not, you
should request the print-out. You should read that information since
Hydrocholothiazide does have known side effects. I took that diurectic and
the main side effect that I noticed was that it effected the electrolyte
balance.
Jason
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top
<Hawki63@sbcglobal.net
medicine forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Posts: 222

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Diuretic Question Reply with quote

"Jason Johnson" <jason@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:jason-1807061037400001@66-52-22-86.lsan.pw-dia.impulse.net...
Quote:
In article <GsudnY5YzovdTyHZnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@comcast.com>, "Robert11"
rgsros@notme.com> wrote:

Hello:

My M.D. had me try a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide, 12.5 mg/day) to see if
it had any effect on lowering my blood p.

Doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Just trying to learn, and am curious:

Does this approach "typically" have any effect, and work out
for many folks who utilize it ?

BTW: any real solid evidence that eating a bananana (due to its Potassium
content)
actually help at all ?

Thanks,
B.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,
You should have received a print-out from the pharmacist. If not, you
should request the print-out. You should read that information since
Hydrocholothiazide does have known side effects. I took that diurectic and
the main side effect that I noticed was that it effected the electrolyte
balance.
Jason



welll....duh....all diuretics WORK by helping to move excess fluid from
tissues..into bloodstream...then to the kidneys to be excreted as increased
urination...

thus...electrolytes WILL be affected...esp potassium.,,,which can drop a
bit...thus...eating a banana etc per day...

you still claim to have had a higher potassiumm..but as I recall you never
had that documented with a blood test...

thus...diuretics= increased fluid loss,,,decreased serum potassiumm
hopefully...decreased blood pressure...

simple equation really


> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top
Jason
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 1120

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Diuretic Question Reply with quote

In article <J3xvg.51770$VE1.1648@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
<Hawki63@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

"Jason Johnson" <jason@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:jason-1807061037400001@66-52-22-86.lsan.pw-dia.impulse.net...
Quote:
In article <GsudnY5YzovdTyHZnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@comcast.com>, "Robert11"
rgsros@notme.com> wrote:

Hello:

My M.D. had me try a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide, 12.5 mg/day) to see if
it had any effect on lowering my blood p.

Doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Just trying to learn, and am curious:

Does this approach "typically" have any effect, and work out
for many folks who utilize it ?

BTW: any real solid evidence that eating a bananana (due to its Potassium
content)
actually help at all ?

Thanks,
B.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,
You should have received a print-out from the pharmacist. If not, you
should request the print-out. You should read that information since
Hydrocholothiazide does have known side effects. I took that diurectic and
the main side effect that I noticed was that it effected the electrolyte
balance.
Jason



welll....duh....all diuretics WORK by helping to move excess fluid from
tissues..into bloodstream...then to the kidneys to be excreted as increased
urination...

thus...electrolytes WILL be affected...esp potassium.,,,which can drop a
bit...thus...eating a banana etc per day...

you still claim to have had a higher potassiumm..but as I recall you never
had that documented with a blood test...

thus...diuretics= increased fluid loss,,,decreased serum potassiumm
hopefully...decreased blood pressure...

simple equation really


Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert,
I had all sorts of problems with acid-base balance problems and
electrolyte balance problems as a result of taking various types of
medications to control my blood pressure. My doctor believes the problems
were the result of what he called "weak kidneys"--whatever that means. One
doctor in a newsgroup figured out that my GFR score is 75 ml per minute. A
person with normal kidney function has a GFR score of 100 ml per minute.
He used figures from a recent blood test to figure out the score but told
me there are better ways to do it. Since my doctor refuses to refer me to
a kidney specialist for a serious of diagnostic tests--I will probably
never find out if I do have any serious kidney problems. As long as I
don't eat or drink any high acid foods or liquids--I don't have any
problems. Thanks for your concern. One doctor in a newsgroup told me that
lots of people have acid-base balance problems.
Jason
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Medicine forums » cardiology
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts question about eye exams and what the doctor sees bruin70@mail.com vision 0 Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:20 am
No new posts Question about Pupillary Dilation Test procedure nickname vision 3 Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:46 pm
No new posts Dumb question about food stryped@hotmail.com nutrition 5 Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:07 pm
No new posts Nicotine question frenchy dentistry 3 Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:00 pm
No new posts Diet question (Not about looseing wieght but for health) stryped@hotmail.com cardiology 4 Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:52 pm

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: email marketing campaigns , electronics forum, Science forum, Unix/Linux blog, Unix/Linux documentation, Unix/Linux forums


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.7509s ][ Queries: 16 (0.7033s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]