FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Medicine forums » nutrition
Phytates effects
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Davide
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Phytates effects Reply with quote

Hi
I'd like to know what scientific studies say about phytic acid in food
I know that it's "thought" that foods containing phytates may interfer
with calcium, zin, iron absorption and certain groups (westonaprice
foundation) have created an hype attacking all foods that contain
phytates but what I saw on pubmed is

1) theoretical third world epidemiological studies that theorize that a
whole grain and legume diet may cause mineral deficiency

2) studies on animals that have nothing to do with humans

3) studies on humans using isolated phytic acid in high concentration

What I want to know is wether there's any amount of scientific evidence
that a varied diet adequate in mineral intake containing two or more
portions of legumes and/or whole grains can lower mineral the
absorption of minerals in any relevant way or even cause mineral
deficiencies

Thanks
Davide
Back to top
Mr-Natural-Health
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 1807

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Phytates effects Reply with quote

Davide wrote:

Quote:
What I want to know is wether there's any amount of scientific evidence
that a varied diet adequate in mineral intake containing two or more
portions of legumes and/or whole grains can lower mineral the
absorption of minerals in any relevant way or even cause mineral
deficiencies

No! The Weston Price Foundation is just a bunch of Kooks.
Back to top
Juhana Harju
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 1056

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Phytates effects Reply with quote

Davide wrote:
: Hi
: I'd like to know what scientific studies say about phytic acid in food
: I know that it's "thought" that foods containing phytates may interfer
: with calcium, zin, iron absorption and certain groups (westonaprice
: foundation) have created an hype attacking all foods that contain
: phytates but what I saw on pubmed is
:
: 1) theoretical third world epidemiological studies that theorize that
: a whole grain and legume diet may cause mineral deficiency
:
: 2) studies on animals that have nothing to do with humans
:
: 3) studies on humans using isolated phytic acid in high concentration
:
: What I want to know is wether there's any amount of scientific
: evidence that a varied diet adequate in mineral intake containing two
: or more portions of legumes and/or whole grains can lower mineral the
: absorption of minerals in any relevant way or even cause mineral
: deficiencies

Take into account that whole grains have considerably higher mineral content
than refined grains. That is why you can in a sense afford the less
efficient absorption of minerals.

The effect of phytates is not only adverse. They also have a beneficial role
in prevention of diseases like cancer and cardiovascular diseases.

I wouldn't be too concerned of phytates. If you want to reduce phytates it
can be done by soaking grains. In baking the sourdough process reduces
phytates very efficiently.

--
Juhana
Back to top
Mr-Natural-Health
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 1807

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Phytates effects Reply with quote

Don Wiss wrote:
Quote:
On 8 Jul 2006 12:17:07 -0700, "Davide" <davideb_music@yahoo.it> wrote:

I'd like to know what scientific studies say about phytic acid in food
I know that it's "thought" that foods containing phytates may interfer
with calcium, zin, iron absorption and certain groups (westonaprice
foundation) have created an hype attacking all foods that contain
phytates but what I saw on pubmed is

And you believe PubMed!?

Here's a readable summary: http://paleodiet.com/phytic.txt

The only thing that your group offers as proof are essays of wild
speculation masquerading as research. The only thing amazing about
your grabage is that their authors were able to find journals to print
their dribble.

Feel free to prove me wrong.
Back to top
TC
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 1814

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Phytates effects Reply with quote

Juhana Harju wrote:
Quote:
Davide wrote:
: Hi
: I'd like to know what scientific studies say about phytic acid in food
: I know that it's "thought" that foods containing phytates may interfer
: with calcium, zin, iron absorption and certain groups (westonaprice
: foundation) have created an hype attacking all foods that contain
: phytates but what I saw on pubmed is
:
: 1) theoretical third world epidemiological studies that theorize that
: a whole grain and legume diet may cause mineral deficiency
:
: 2) studies on animals that have nothing to do with humans
:
: 3) studies on humans using isolated phytic acid in high concentration
:
: What I want to know is wether there's any amount of scientific
: evidence that a varied diet adequate in mineral intake containing two
: or more portions of legumes and/or whole grains can lower mineral the
: absorption of minerals in any relevant way or even cause mineral
: deficiencies

Take into account that whole grains have considerably higher mineral content
than refined grains. That is why you can in a sense afford the less
efficient absorption of minerals.

The effect of phytates is not only adverse. They also have a beneficial role
in prevention of diseases like cancer and cardiovascular diseases.

beneficial? where do you get your info from?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-18,GGLD:en&q=phytates

Quote:

I wouldn't be too concerned of phytates. If you want to reduce phytates it
can be done by soaking grains. In baking the sourdough process reduces
phytates very efficiently.

--
Juhana
Back to top
Juhana Harju
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 1056

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Phytates effects Reply with quote

TC wrote:
Quote:
Juhana Harju wrote:
Davide wrote:

: Hi
: I'd like to know what scientific studies say about phytic acid in food
: I know that it's "thought" that foods containing phytates may interfer
: with calcium, zin, iron absorption and certain groups (westonaprice
: foundation) have created an hype attacking all foods that contain
: phytates but what I saw on pubmed is
:
: 1) theoretical third world epidemiological studies that theorize that
: a whole grain and legume diet may cause mineral deficiency
:
: 2) studies on animals that have nothing to do with humans
:
: 3) studies on humans using isolated phytic acid in high concentration
:
: What I want to know is wether there's any amount of scientific
: evidence that a varied diet adequate in mineral intake containing two
: or more portions of legumes and/or whole grains can lower mineral the
: absorption of minerals in any relevant way or even cause mineral
: deficiencies

Take into account that whole grains have considerably higher mineral content
than refined grains. That is why you can in a sense afford the less
efficient absorption of minerals.

The effect of phytates is not only adverse. They also have a beneficial role
in prevention of diseases like cancer and cardiovascular diseases.

beneficial? where do you get your info from?

Your posting included results of a simple Google search. I am certain
that you can do better.

http://www.cplbookshop.com/contents/C1403.htm

If that was not enough for you, go to Medline and search for phytates
and cancer, phytic acid and cancer, phytates and heart or phytic acid
and heart.

Quote:
I wouldn't be too concerned of phytates. If you want to reduce phytates it
can be done by soaking grains. In baking the sourdough process reduces
phytates very efficiently.

--
Juhana
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:30 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Medicine forums » nutrition
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Congressman's widow sues Pfizer over Lipitor effects Sharon Hope cardiology 1 Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:27 am
No new posts Why is JAMA hiding statin adverse effects? Sharon Hope cardiology 7 Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:29 pm
No new posts Adverse Health Effects From Amagams: PEER-REVIEWED STUDY BreastImplantAwareness.or dentistry 2 Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:01 pm
No new posts Adverse Health Effects From Amagams: PEER-REVIEWED STUDY \"Jan Drew\" dentistry 47 Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:37 am
No new posts Effects of testosterone / erythrocytosis ironjustice@aol.com nursing 3 Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:30 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: email marketing campaigns , electronics forum, Science forum, Unix/Linux blog, Unix/Linux documentation, Unix/Linux forums


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0150s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0022s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]