FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Medicine forums » vision
Multipurpose Solutions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Dr Judy
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 304

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

1978fx@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
Dr Judy wrote:
You can pay $60/year for contacts and $250/yr for care solutions or

You can pay $60/year for care solutions and $250/yr for contacts.


Well, I was either doing something dangerously wrong, or was incredibly
lucky, because I figure my solutions costs to be only about $50-75 a
year, with the annual-replacement lenses. And I don't think I was
doing anything wrong, because my lenses would be GOOD and my eyes okay
at the end of a year of cleaning with my method.

Part of my complaint about the lens industry is that people have
allowed themselves to be duped into thinking they HAVE to pay this
much, either for lenses or for solutions, when it is possible, with
care and research, to wear lenses safely for much less $$. But,
because the masses were duped, the options disappear for the rest of us.


Where do you live? Here in Canada, AOSept, if used with daily cleaner
and if the solution is changed daily and if protein tabs are used
weekly the annual cost would be close to $200 Cdn.

A small number of patients have exceptional tear quality and can wear
non disposable lenses without coating them up. But the vast majority
will show significant deposits on the lenses within 60 to 90 days.
Since the advent of disposables, I see very little giant papillary
conjunctivitis and corneal staining, both problems that were common
before.

Dr Judy
Back to top
Scott Seidman
medicine forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 235

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in news:f9Qvg.51974$VE1.4533
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Quote:
Duped? I think it's more that the market wants, and is willing
to pay for, convenience.

For years, the pharmaceutical industry has been doing all it can to keep
generics from reaching the market, going to the extremes of paying the
producers of generic drugs to get exclusive rights to a drug with expiring
patents, and then not make it (and this is no conspiracy theory!). Also,
drugs with very subtle differences from low priced generics (i.e., no great
improvements) are marketed direct-to-consumer as the latest greatest thing,
when the previous generation of generic would serve the patient just as
well.

It seems to be clearly in the interest of the lens makers to get their
customers to buy their most expensive products.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Back to top
Quick
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Posts: 343

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

1978fx@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
Dr Judy wrote:

Part of my complaint about the lens industry is that
people have allowed themselves to be duped into thinking
they HAVE to pay this much, either for lenses or for
solutions, when it is possible, with care and research,
to wear lenses safely for much less $$. But, because the
masses were duped, the options disappear for the rest of
us.

Duped? I think it's more that the market wants, and is willing
to pay for, convenience. The manufacturers generally respond
to the market -- unless you subscribe to some sort of conspiracy
theory. If you're not in the main stream you will pay more or not
have the option at all. For "cheap" solutions you need to talk
to Dicky (I'd keep a doc on retainer though).

-Quick
Back to top
1978fx@gmail.com
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

Quote:
is Omnicare 1-step available where you live?

Dom

Doesn't seem to be. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Back to top
1978fx@gmail.com
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

Dr Judy wrote:
Quote:
You can pay $60/year for contacts and $250/yr for care solutions or

You can pay $60/year for care solutions and $250/yr for contacts.


Well, I was either doing something dangerously wrong, or was incredibly
lucky, because I figure my solutions costs to be only about $50-75 a
year, with the annual-replacement lenses. And I don't think I was
doing anything wrong, because my lenses would be GOOD and my eyes okay
at the end of a year of cleaning with my method.

Part of my complaint about the lens industry is that people have
allowed themselves to be duped into thinking they HAVE to pay this
much, either for lenses or for solutions, when it is possible, with
care and research, to wear lenses safely for much less $$. But,
because the masses were duped, the options disappear for the rest of us.
Back to top
Dick Adams
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Posts: 300

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

"PPT33R" <mtmueller@usa.com> wrote in message news:1153327959.863724.104900@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Quote:
... when I put my glasses back on I am fine.

There, perhaps, is your answer.

Quote:
... Is there some secret trick?

You can clean eyeglasses with soap and water.

--
Dicky
Back to top
JohnDoe
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 364

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

PPT33R wrote:
Quote:
I have used AOSept for decades. The stuff works, but I do consider it
expensive and a pain in the ass to use as part of a multi-step contact
lens maintenance regimen.

Recently, AOSept has been impossible to obtain, forcing me to "test"
other methods. I figured it was time to give multipurpose solutions a
try.

I tried Aquify, ReNu, Opti-Free, and Complete Moisture Plus. I found
none of them allowed me to wear my contacts comfortably through an
entire day of activity. I have no clue why.

I tried "Clear Care" two years ago, but had similar results to the
multipurpose solutions I recently tested.

I find with the multipurpose solutions, by the end of the day my vision
becomes very blurry. I believe this is due to build-up on the lenses,
because when I put my glasses back on I am fine. Sometimes this 'end
of the day' buildup makes my lenses downright uncomfortable. After
soaking the lenses overnight, they are pretty much back to 'normal' the
next day.

I found the Aquify product was the most comfortable, followed by the
Complete. But I had to remove my contacts a good 4 hours earlier with
all of them than my experience with AOSept due to deteriorating vision
quality. I also notice when I wake up in the morning I have a
significant amount of 'debris' or 'yellowish sleep eye deposits' on my
lashes that do not exist when I use AOSept.

I tried to follow the directions as indicated for each product. I
added an additional cleaning step using MiraFlow or equivalent, and an
extra rinse with saline before inserting. I get the same result every
time. Towards the end of the day my contacts are very blurry.

Am I doing something wrong? With the popularity of multipurpose
solutions, is anyone else having this problem? Is there some secret
trick or other product that might help, or should I just go back to the
hassle of AOSept now that it is appearing back on the shelves?

TIA


Peroxide systems have some great advantages (and disadvantages)... is
Omnicare 1-step available where you live?

Dom
Back to top
Dr Judy
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 304

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

1978fx@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
I

snip

Quote:

I have the added problem of preferring to pay $60 a year for my lenses,
rather than the $250 the disposables would cost me.

You can pay $60/year for contacts and $250/yr for care solutions or

You can pay $60/year for care solutions and $250/yr for contacts.

Dr Judy

Quote:

If anyone with this problem HAS found a multi-purposes that doesn't
"goop up" your eyes, please let us know!
Back to top
Dr Judy
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 304

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

PPT33R wrote:
Quote:
I have used AOSept for decades. The stuff works, but I do consider it
expensive and a pain in the ass to use as part of a multi-step contact
lens maintenance regimen.

Recently, AOSept has been impossible to obtain, forcing me to "test"
other methods. I figured it was time to give multipurpose solutions a
try.

I tried Aquify, ReNu, Opti-Free, and Complete Moisture Plus. I found
none of them allowed me to wear my contacts comfortably through an
entire day of activity. I have no clue why.

I tried "Clear Care" two years ago, but had similar results to the
multipurpose solutions I recently tested.

I find with the multipurpose solutions, by the end of the day my vision
becomes very blurry. I believe this is due to build-up on the lenses,
because when I put my glasses back on I am fine. Sometimes this 'end
of the day' buildup makes my lenses downright uncomfortable. After
soaking the lenses overnight, they are pretty much back to 'normal' the
next day.

I found the Aquify product was the most comfortable, followed by the
Complete. But I had to remove my contacts a good 4 hours earlier with
all of them than my experience with AOSept due to deteriorating vision
quality. I also notice when I wake up in the morning I have a
significant amount of 'debris' or 'yellowish sleep eye deposits' on my
lashes that do not exist when I use AOSept.

I tried to follow the directions as indicated for each product. I
added an additional cleaning step using MiraFlow or equivalent, and an
extra rinse with saline before inserting. I get the same result every
time. Towards the end of the day my contacts are very blurry.

Am I doing something wrong? With the popularity of multipurpose
solutions, is anyone else having this problem? Is there some secret
trick or other product that might help, or should I just go back to the
hassle of AOSept now that it is appearing back on the shelves?

TIA

Due to a manufacturing plant closure, CIBA solutions were off the
market for about 6 months, coming back in now.

Are you using disposable lenses? The multipurpose solutions are
primarily for disposable lenses that will be thrown out before they get
dirty. If using a non disposable, you really do need to use a multi
solution system with cleaner, soaking, rinsing and protein tab such as
AOSept or UltraCare.

Dr Judy
Back to top
1978fx@gmail.com
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

I also have that problem, and am glad to see I'm not alone. I haven't
tested as many as you did, but it was because I figured that none of
these "multi-purpose" (or, in my case, NO purpose) solutions were for
me.

I recently posted about the recent apparent drop of Aosept from the
market (along with generic pork-based enzymatic tablets). My eye doc
says it's market forces (too many contact wearers too lazy to clean
their lenses, so everything's disposable, so people don't need the
thorough cleanings we're used to). Unfortunately, that seems to leave
people like you and me screwed, as we can't use those solutions, for
some reason.

I have the added problem of preferring to pay $60 a year for my lenses,
rather than the $250 the disposables would cost me.

If anyone with this problem HAS found a multi-purposes that doesn't
"goop up" your eyes, please let us know!
Back to top
PPT33R
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Multipurpose Solutions? Reply with quote

I have used AOSept for decades. The stuff works, but I do consider it
expensive and a pain in the ass to use as part of a multi-step contact
lens maintenance regimen.

Recently, AOSept has been impossible to obtain, forcing me to "test"
other methods. I figured it was time to give multipurpose solutions a
try.

I tried Aquify, ReNu, Opti-Free, and Complete Moisture Plus. I found
none of them allowed me to wear my contacts comfortably through an
entire day of activity. I have no clue why.

I tried "Clear Care" two years ago, but had similar results to the
multipurpose solutions I recently tested.

I find with the multipurpose solutions, by the end of the day my vision
becomes very blurry. I believe this is due to build-up on the lenses,
because when I put my glasses back on I am fine. Sometimes this 'end
of the day' buildup makes my lenses downright uncomfortable. After
soaking the lenses overnight, they are pretty much back to 'normal' the
next day.

I found the Aquify product was the most comfortable, followed by the
Complete. But I had to remove my contacts a good 4 hours earlier with
all of them than my experience with AOSept due to deteriorating vision
quality. I also notice when I wake up in the morning I have a
significant amount of 'debris' or 'yellowish sleep eye deposits' on my
lashes that do not exist when I use AOSept.

I tried to follow the directions as indicated for each product. I
added an additional cleaning step using MiraFlow or equivalent, and an
extra rinse with saline before inserting. I get the same result every
time. Towards the end of the day my contacts are very blurry.

Am I doing something wrong? With the popularity of multipurpose
solutions, is anyone else having this problem? Is there some secret
trick or other product that might help, or should I just go back to the
hassle of AOSept now that it is appearing back on the shelves?

TIA
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:46 pm | All times are GMT
Forum index » Medicine forums » vision
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Important message about ReNu solutions (ReNu with Moistur... Ablang vision 5 Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:44 am
No new posts Natural Solutions for Avian Bird Flu brent lyme 16 Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:21 pm
No new posts Medical CDs - [Part 1], [Part 2], [Part 3 = MEDLINE 1986-... vvcd nursing 0 Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:59 am
No new posts NY TIMES Article About Pain Solutions Robert Cohen cancer 0 Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:54 pm

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: email marketing campaigns , electronics forum, Science forum, Unix/Linux blog, Unix/Linux documentation, Unix/Linux forums


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0178s ][ Queries: 19 (0.0021s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]