FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Medicine forums » nursing
Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [43 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  1, 2, 3 Next
Author Message
Jeff
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1313

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

"BreastImplantAwareness.org" <BIA@mundo.com> wrote in message
news:6nq2b2tfqiif2lfrgthjptpsj6estcpg1s@4ax.com...
Quote:
Note from Ilena: May God bless and protect this brave doctor from the
ravages of the "guerrillas" from Stephen Barrett's Quack Crusade.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/QuackWatchWatch.htm


VOICE OF THE PEOPLE (LETTER)


http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0607090399jul09,1,1763563.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
Discovering the causes, treatment of autism

David Ayoub, MD
Published July 9, 2006


Springfield -- This is regarding "Painful questions of blame; Parents,
doctors and the disputed link between vaccines and autism"
(Perspective, June 25), by Meg McSherry Breslin, a Tribune staff
reporter.

I am glad you have decided to take on this controversial topic, but I
want to clarify some of the comments the reporter made, particularly
about my own involvement, which I think are misleading, particularly
regarding my own work.

First, I am no longer "trying to dig up evidence to prove" vaccines
cause autism.

There is already abundant evidence, the same conclusion made by a 2003
U.S. Congressional Committee.

Can you please point where the Congressional committee came to this
conclusion? Perhaps in the federal register. You might also tell us who was
the chair of the comittee and if he or she is biased by a grandchild who has
autism.

Quote:
This debate is not scientific but is political. I am trying to
encourage physicians who have been badly misled by nothing less than
spin and propaganda to review the extensive scientific evidence for
themselves showing the vaccine-autism link, even though "experts"
disagree. I am also lobbying to get mercury removed from vaccines.

I have reviewed the evidence. Although i would like to see mercury removed
from vaccines, I find the evidence autism is caused by mercury or any
compound containing mercury underwhelming.

(...)

Jeff
Back to top
Jason
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 1119

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

In article <Affsg.5559$ye3.220@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Jeff"
<kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

"BreastImplantAwareness.org" <BIA@mundo.com> wrote in message
news:6nq2b2tfqiif2lfrgthjptpsj6estcpg1s@4ax.com...
Quote:
Note from Ilena: May God bless and protect this brave doctor from the
ravages of the "guerrillas" from Stephen Barrett's Quack Crusade.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/QuackWatchWatch.htm


VOICE OF THE PEOPLE (LETTER)



http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0607090399jul09,1,1763563.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
Discovering the causes, treatment of autism

David Ayoub, MD
Published July 9, 2006


Springfield -- This is regarding "Painful questions of blame; Parents,
doctors and the disputed link between vaccines and autism"
(Perspective, June 25), by Meg McSherry Breslin, a Tribune staff
reporter.

I am glad you have decided to take on this controversial topic, but I
want to clarify some of the comments the reporter made, particularly
about my own involvement, which I think are misleading, particularly
regarding my own work.

First, I am no longer "trying to dig up evidence to prove" vaccines
cause autism.

There is already abundant evidence, the same conclusion made by a 2003
U.S. Congressional Committee.

Can you please point where the Congressional committee came to this
conclusion? Perhaps in the federal register. You might also tell us who was
the chair of the comittee and if he or she is biased by a grandchild who has
autism.

Quote:
This debate is not scientific but is political. I am trying to
encourage physicians who have been badly misled by nothing less than
spin and propaganda to review the extensive scientific evidence for
themselves showing the vaccine-autism link, even though "experts"
disagree. I am also lobbying to get mercury removed from vaccines.

I have reviewed the evidence. Although i would like to see mercury removed
from vaccines, I find the evidence autism is caused by mercury or any
compound containing mercury underwhelming.

(...)

Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff,
Since you have reviewed the evidence, what is the cause of autism? Are you
100 percent sure that mercury from various sources (including fish) is not
the cause of autism? Have you reviewed the evidence related to the mercury
catastrophe in Minamata Bay, Japan? People ingested
methylmercury-contaminated fish--it led to severe neurologic deficits. I
don't know the true cause of autism but I do believe that scientists
should at least determine whether or not mercury poisoning does play a
role.

I typed "Causes of autism" into the google search engine and could not find
any medical research reports related to the cause of autism. I found the
following information at the EIR (Environmental Illness Resources). I
deleted the portions of the article related to causes other than heavy
metals such as
chemicals.

Source: EIR website

Heavy Metal Toxicity
Another finding in autistic children is a higher level of heavy metals
than normal. One source of mercury exposure in early life is through
vaccinations. Thimerosal is a preservative used in many vaccinations to
prevent contamination. Thimerosal is 49.6% mercury by weight. Shockingly
in 1999 the American Food and Drug Administration released a report
stating that children who received thimerosal containing vaccinations at
multiple visits may be exposed to more mercury than is recommended by
federal guidelines. In fact, children may have been receiving 100 times
the 0.1 micrograms per kilogram of daily exposure considered safe by most
authorities worldwide. This report has, however, resulted in positive
action being taken. Following the publication of the report, the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Centers for Disease Control
(CDC) recommended that thimerosal be removed from all vaccines given to
children. A study of 2 US government databases in March 2006 shows that in
the 4 years following the recommended removal of thimerosal from childrens
vaccines, exposure of children to this toxin was reduced to almost zero,
and most importantly, new cases of autism actually began to decrease.

Mercury is a known neurotoxin and could be especially harmful to the
developing brains of young children. Mercury also disrupts biochemistry
and can result in dysfunction of multiple enzyme systems and damage to
cell membranes and many proteins involved in all bodily functions. As can
be said for the MMR vaccine, increases in vaccinations correlate well with
increases in incidence of ASD's.

In a paper published in the journal Neurotoxicology by The Coalition for
Safe Minds in 2001, the authors seek to determine the levels of mercury
that could be expected upon hair analysis, based upon the amounts of
mercury in vaccines routinely given to infants and children.(12). The
paper predicts, based upon a proven model, that giving children all the
usual vaccinations, using thimerosal containing vaccines would result in a
hair concentration of greater than 1ppm (parts per million) of mercury for
up to 365 days with various peaks during that period. 1ppm is the safe
limit set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Research at the
UCLA Medical Center in California has also shown that Thimerosal (when
bound to human albumin protein) triggers an immune system reaction in
autistic children, resulting in the production of antibodies (17). This
indicates a possible autoimmune reaction as the immune system could react
against any of the child's own tissues that happen to have Thimerosal
bound to them.

Obviously children are exposed to mercury from other sources as well so
their actual mercury levels could be expected to be even higher than this.
The paper notes that:

"exposure to low levels of mercury during critical stages of development
has been associated with neurological disorders in children, including
ADD, learning difficulties, and speech delays, the predicted hair Hg
(mercury) concentration resulting from childhood immunizations is cause
for concern."

A paper published in March 2006 in Environmental Health Perspectives would
seem to shed more light on the mechanisms by which thimerosal can damage a
childs health. Researchers at University of California, Davis, have found
that in mice at least, thimerosal can disrupt the immune system. This
large, well funded study for the university's MIND Institute and the
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences is sure to be an
important indicator of where future research should be focused. The
researchers in this study looked at dendritic cells which can be described
as messengers within the immune system. These cells take up invaders such
as bacteria, viruses and other antigens such as vaccine ingredients and
process them. They then migrate to the lymph nodes to present their
information to other immune cells, which can activate a systemic immune
response. The research shows that these dendritic cells, especially the
normal biochemical signals they process, are highly sensitive to
thimerosal. With low concentrations of thimerosal, an inflammatory
response occurs and with higher concentrations the cell is actually
killed. These reactions could lead to any number of unwanted, and
uncontrolled, effects within the immune system.

Autistic children often show signs of immunological dysfunction with
allergies, gut disorders and frequent infections being common. The effects
of thimerosal on the immune system, that this study demonstrates, provides
one possible explanation of why this is the case.

Of course, mercury is not the only heavy metal that can cause health
problems and vaccinations are not the only source of exposure to mercury.
Other possible sources of heavy metal exposure are contaminated food and
water supplies. Fish is particularly associated with contamination as
oceanic pollution becomes more concentrated as it moves up the food chain
to predatory fish..



Chemical Exposure
A number of researchers and institutions are now studying the possible
role of exposure to chemicals in ASD's. A major study is underway at The
UC Davis M.I.N.D. Institute, Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine,
and the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences funded by the
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Professor Isaac
Pessah who is involved with this study states:

" Environmental exp
Back to top
Jeff
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1313

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

"Jason Johnson" <jason@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:jason-0907061544320001@66-52-22-31.lsan.pw-dia.impulse.net...
Quote:
In article <Affsg.5559$ye3.220@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Jeff"
kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

"BreastImplantAwareness.org" <BIA@mundo.com> wrote in message
news:6nq2b2tfqiif2lfrgthjptpsj6estcpg1s@4ax.com...
Note from Ilena: May God bless and protect this brave doctor from the
ravages of the "guerrillas" from Stephen Barrett's Quack Crusade.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/QuackWatchWatch.htm


VOICE OF THE PEOPLE (LETTER)



http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0607090399jul09,1,1763563.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
Discovering the causes, treatment of autism

David Ayoub, MD
Published July 9, 2006


Springfield -- This is regarding "Painful questions of blame; Parents,
doctors and the disputed link between vaccines and autism"
(Perspective, June 25), by Meg McSherry Breslin, a Tribune staff
reporter.

I am glad you have decided to take on this controversial topic, but I
want to clarify some of the comments the reporter made, particularly
about my own involvement, which I think are misleading, particularly
regarding my own work.

First, I am no longer "trying to dig up evidence to prove" vaccines
cause autism.

There is already abundant evidence, the same conclusion made by a 2003
U.S. Congressional Committee.

Can you please point where the Congressional committee came to this
conclusion? Perhaps in the federal register. You might also tell us who
was
the chair of the comittee and if he or she is biased by a grandchild who
has
autism.

This debate is not scientific but is political. I am trying to
encourage physicians who have been badly misled by nothing less than
spin and propaganda to review the extensive scientific evidence for
themselves showing the vaccine-autism link, even though "experts"
disagree. I am also lobbying to get mercury removed from vaccines.

I have reviewed the evidence. Although i would like to see mercury removed
from vaccines, I find the evidence autism is caused by mercury or any
compound containing mercury underwhelming.

(...)

Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff,
Since you have reviewed the evidence, what is the cause of autism? Are you
100 percent sure that mercury from various sources (including fish) is not
the cause of autism?

I never claimed to know what the cause of autism is. However, the brain
damage from autism, as seen under the microscope in autism is different from
that seen by mercury poisoning. One can never be 100% sure. However, there
is considering that the data clearly show no reason to beleive that autism
is caused by mercury and plenty of reason to believe that autism is not
caused by vaccines, I am nearly 100% sure that autism is not caused by
vaccines, which is the question.

Quote:
Have you reviewed the evidence related to the mercury
catastrophe in Minamata Bay, Japan? People ingested
methylmercury-contaminated fish--it led to severe neurologic deficits. I
don't know the true cause of autism but I do believe that scientists
should at least determine whether or not mercury poisoning does play a
role.

There was a study done by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy
of sciences. The study concluded that vaccines, including the thimerasol in
the vaccines, was unlikely to be the cause.

Quote:
I typed "Causes of autism" into the google search engine and could not
find
any medical research reports related to the cause of autism. I found the
following information at the EIR (Environmental Illness Resources). I
deleted the portions of the article related to causes other than heavy
metals such as
chemicals.

Try looking at the genetics of autism. Autism clearly has a genetic
component. And probably environmental components as well. However, there is
very little reason to believe that mercury from vaccines is related to
autism.

About the stuff below:

1) Heavy metal analysis of hair is very inaccurate.
2) Most of the organic mercury exposure that kids get is from their diets,
not vaccines.

Jeff

Quote:
Source: EIR website

Heavy Metal Toxicity
Another finding in autistic children is a higher level of heavy metals
than normal. One source of mercury exposure in early life is through
vaccinations. Thimerosal is a preservative used in many vaccinations to
prevent contamination. Thimerosal is 49.6% mercury by weight. Shockingly
in 1999 the American Food and Drug Administration released a report
stating that children who received thimerosal containing vaccinations at
multiple visits may be exposed to more mercury than is recommended by
federal guidelines. In fact, children may have been receiving 100 times
the 0.1 micrograms per kilogram of daily exposure considered safe by most
authorities worldwide. This report has, however, resulted in positive
action being taken. Following the publication of the report, the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Centers for Disease Control
(CDC) recommended that thimerosal be removed from all vaccines given to
children. A study of 2 US government databases in March 2006 shows that in
the 4 years following the recommended removal of thimerosal from childrens
vaccines, exposure of children to this toxin was reduced to almost zero,
and most importantly, new cases of autism actually began to decrease.

Mercury is a known neurotoxin and could be especially harmful to the
developing brains of young children. Mercury also disrupts biochemistry
and can result in dysfunction of multiple enzyme systems and damage to
cell membranes and many proteins involved in all bodily functions. As can
be said for the MMR vaccine, increases in vaccinations correlate well with
increases in incidence of ASD's.

In a paper published in the journal Neurotoxicology by The Coalition for
Safe Minds in 2001, the authors seek to determine the levels of mercury
that could be expected upon hair analysis, based upon the amounts of
mercury in vaccines routinely given to infants and children.(12). The
paper predicts, based upon a proven model, that giving children all the
usual vaccinations, using thimerosal containing vaccines would result in a
hair concentration of greater than 1ppm (parts per million) of mercury for
up to 365 days with various peaks during that period. 1ppm is the safe
limit set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Research at the
UCLA Medical Center in California has also shown that Thimerosal (when
bound to human albumin protein) triggers an immune system reaction in
autistic children, resulting in the production of antibodies (17). This
indicates a possible autoimmune reaction as the immune system could react
against any of the child's own tissues that happen to have Thimerosal
bound to them.

Obviously children are exposed to mercury from other sources as well so
their actual mercury levels could be expected to be even higher than this.
The paper notes that:

"exposure to low levels of mercury during critical stages of development
has been associated with neurological disorders in children, including
ADD, learning difficulties, and speech delays, the predicted hair Hg
(mercury) concentration resulting from childhood immunizations is cause
for concern."

A paper published in March 2006 in Environmental Health Perspectives would
seem to shed more light on the mechanisms by which thimerosal can damage a
childs health. Researchers at University of California, Davis, have found
that in mice at least, thimerosal can disrupt the immune system. This
large, well funded study for the university's MIND Institute and the
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences is sure to be an
important indicator of where future research should be focused. The
researchers in this study looked at dendritic cells which can be described
as messengers within the immune system. These cells take up invaders such
as bacteria, viruses and other antigens such as vaccine ingredients and
process them. They then migrate to the lymph nodes to present their
information to other immune cells, which can activate a systemic immune
response. The research shows that these dendritic cells, especially the
normal biochemical signals they process, are highly sensitive to
thimerosal. With low concentrations of thimerosal, an inflammatory
response occurs and with higher concentrations the cell is actually
killed. These reactions could lead to any number of unwanted, and
uncontrolled, effects within the immune system.

Autistic children often show signs of immunological dysfunction with
allergies, gut disorders and frequent infections being common. The effects
of thimerosal on the immune system, that this study demonstrates, provides
one possible explanation of why this is the case.

Of course, mercury is not the only heavy metal that can cause health
problems and vaccinations are not the only source of exposure to mercury.
Other possible sources of heavy metal exposure are contaminated food and
water supplies. Fish is particularly associated with contamination as
oceanic pollution becomes more concentrated as it moves up the food chain
to predatory fish..



Chemical Exposure
A number of researchers and institutions are now studying the possible
role of exposure to chemicals in ASD's. A major study is underway at The
UC Davis M.I.N.D. Institute, Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine,
and the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences funded by the
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Professor Isaac
Pessah who is involved with this study states:

" Environmental exp
Back to top
\"Jan Drew\"
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 353

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

"Jeff" <kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:y0gsg.6433$cd3.5113@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
Quote:

"Jason Johnson" <jason@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:jason-0907061544320001@66-52-22-31.lsan.pw-dia.impulse.net...
In article <Affsg.5559$ye3.220@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Jeff"
kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

"BreastImplantAwareness.org" <BIA@mundo.com> wrote in message
news:6nq2b2tfqiif2lfrgthjptpsj6estcpg1s@4ax.com...
Note from Ilena: May God bless and protect this brave doctor from the
ravages of the "guerrillas" from Stephen Barrett's Quack Crusade.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/QuackWatchWatch.htm


VOICE OF THE PEOPLE (LETTER)



http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0607090399jul09,1,1763563.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
Discovering the causes, treatment of autism

David Ayoub, MD
Published July 9, 2006


Springfield -- This is regarding "Painful questions of blame; Parents,
doctors and the disputed link between vaccines and autism"
(Perspective, June 25), by Meg McSherry Breslin, a Tribune staff
reporter.

I am glad you have decided to take on this controversial topic, but I
want to clarify some of the comments the reporter made, particularly
about my own involvement, which I think are misleading, particularly
regarding my own work.

First, I am no longer "trying to dig up evidence to prove" vaccines
cause autism.

There is already abundant evidence, the same conclusion made by a 2003
U.S. Congressional Committee.

Can you please point where the Congressional committee came to this
conclusion? Perhaps in the federal register. You might also tell us who
was
the chair of the comittee and if he or she is biased by a grandchild who
has
autism.

This debate is not scientific but is political. I am trying to
encourage physicians who have been badly misled by nothing less than
spin and propaganda to review the extensive scientific evidence for
themselves showing the vaccine-autism link, even though "experts"
disagree. I am also lobbying to get mercury removed from vaccines.

I have reviewed the evidence. Although i would like to see mercury
removed
from vaccines, I find the evidence autism is caused by mercury or any
compound containing mercury underwhelming.

(...)

Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff,
Since you have reviewed the evidence, what is the cause of autism? Are
you
100 percent sure that mercury from various sources (including fish) is
not
the cause of autism?

I never claimed to know what the cause of autism is. However, the brain
damage from autism, as seen under the microscope in autism is different
from that seen by mercury poisoning. One can never be 100% sure. However,
there is considering that the data clearly show no reason to beleive that
autism is caused by mercury and plenty of reason to believe that autism is
not caused by vaccines, I am nearly 100% sure that autism is not caused by
vaccines, which is the question.

Have you reviewed the evidence related to the mercury
catastrophe in Minamata Bay, Japan? People ingested
methylmercury-contaminated fish--it led to severe neurologic deficits. I
don't know the true cause of autism but I do believe that scientists
should at least determine whether or not mercury poisoning does play a
role.

There was a study done by the Institute of Medicine of the National
Academy of sciences. The study concluded that vaccines, including the
thimerasol in the vaccines, was unlikely to be the cause.

I typed "Causes of autism" into the google search engine and could not
find
any medical research reports related to the cause of autism. I found the
following information at the EIR (Environmental Illness Resources). I
deleted the portions of the article related to causes other than heavy
metals such as
chemicals.

Try looking at the genetics of autism. Autism clearly has a genetic
component. And probably environmental components as well. However, there
is very little reason to believe that mercury from vaccines is related to
autism.

No, there is not *very little reason*.

http://www.safeminds.org/pressroom/pres_releases/060502Herman.pdf

http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/asdvaccines.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/knowneffects.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/autismhg.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/thimlinks.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/thimelililly.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/whothim.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/vaccinelawsuits.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/thimautism.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/thimeffects.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/adjuvants.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/mtautism.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/aluminumvaccines.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/vacinjury.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/autismdetox.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/toxicvaccine.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/asdexperts.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/thimtox.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/fdahypocracy.htm


http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/vaccineboost.htm


http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-health/articles/183/1/A-Dragon-By-the...


http://www.blogforiowa.com/blog/_archives/2005/3/18

Quote:

About the stuff below:

1) Heavy metal analysis of hair is very inaccurate.
2) Most of the organic mercury exposure that kids get is from their
diets, not vaccines.

Jeff

Source: EIR website

Heavy Metal Toxicity
Another finding in autistic children is a higher level of heavy metals
than normal. One source of mercury exposure in early life is through
vaccinations. Thimerosal is a preservative used in many vaccinations to
prevent contamination. Thimerosal is 49.6% mercury by weight. Shockingly
in 1999 the American Food and Drug Administration released a report
stating that children who received thimerosal containing vaccinations at
multiple visits may be exposed to more mercury than is recommended by
federal guidelines. In fact, children may have been receiving 100 times
the 0.1 micrograms per kilogram of daily exposure considered safe by most
authorities worldwide. This report has, however, resulted in positive
action being taken. Following the publication of the report, the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Centers for Disease Control
(CDC) recommended that thimerosal be removed from all vaccines given to
children. A study of 2 US government databases in March 2006 shows that
in
the 4 years following the recommended removal of thimerosal from
childrens
vaccines, exposure of children to this toxin was reduced to almost zero,
and most importantly, new cases of autism actually began to decrease.

Mercury is a known neurotoxin and could be especially harmful to the
developing brains of young children. Mercury also disrupts biochemistry
and can result in dysfunction of multiple enzyme systems and damage to
cell membranes and many proteins involved in all bodily functions. As can
be said for the MMR vaccine, increases in vaccinations correlate well
with
increases in incidence of ASD's.

In a paper published in the journal Neurotoxicology by The Coalition for
Safe Minds in 2001, the authors seek to determine the levels of mercury
that could be expected upon hair analysis, based upon the amounts of
mercury in vaccines routinely given to infants and children.(12). The
paper predicts, based upon a proven model, that giving children all the
usual vaccinations, using thimerosal containing vaccines would result in
a
hair concentration of greater than 1ppm (parts per million) of mercury
for
up to 365 days with various peaks during that period. 1ppm is the safe
limit set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Research at the
UCLA Medical Center in California has also shown that Thimerosal (when
bound to human albumin protein) triggers an immune system reaction in
autistic children, resulting in the production of antibodies (17). This
indicates a possible autoimmune reaction as the immune system could react
against any of the child's own tissues that happen to have Thimerosal
bound to them.

Obviously children are exposed to mercury from other sources as well so
their actual mercury levels could be expected to be even higher than
this.
The paper notes that:

"exposure to low levels of mercury during critical stages of development
has been associated with neurological disorders in children, including
ADD, learning difficulties, and speech delays, the predicted hair Hg
(mercury) concentration resulting from childhood immunizations is cause
for concern."

A paper published in March 2006 in Environmental Health Perspectives
would
seem to shed more light on the mechanisms by which thimerosal can damage
a
childs health. Researchers at University of California, Davis, have found
that in mice at least, thimerosal can disrupt the immune system. This
large, well funded study for the university's MIND Institute and the
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences is sure to be an
important indicator of where future research should be focused. The
researchers in this study looked at dendritic cells which can be
described
as messengers within the immune system. These cells take up invaders such
as bacteria, viruses and other antigens such as vaccine ingredients and
process them. They then migrate to the lymph nodes to present their
information to other immune cells, which can activate a systemic immune
response. The research shows that these dendritic cells, especially the
normal biochemical signals they process, are highly sensitive to
thimerosal. With low concentrations of thimerosal, an inflammatory
response occurs and with higher concentrations the cell is actually
killed. These reactions could lead to any number of unwanted, and
uncontrolled, effects within the immune system.

Autistic children often show signs of immunological dysfunction with
allergies, gut disorders and frequent infections being common. The
effects
of thimerosal on the immune system, that this study demonstrates,
provides
one possible explanation of why this is the case.

Of course, mercury is not the only heavy metal that can cause health
problems and vaccinations are not the only source of exposure to mercury.
Other possible sources of heavy metal exposure are contaminated food and
water supplies. Fish is particularly associated with contamination as
oceanic pollution becomes more concentrated as it moves up the food chain
to predatory fish..



Chemical Exposure
A number of researchers and institutions are now studying the possible
role of exposure to chemicals in ASD's. A major study is underway at The
UC Davis M.I.N.D. Institute, Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine,
and the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences funded by the
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Professor Isaac
Pessah who is involved with this study states:

" Environmental exp

Back to top
pmoran@bordernet.com.au
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

"BreastImplantAwareness.org" <BIA@mundo.com> wrote in message
news:6nq2b2tfqiif2lfrgthjptpsj6estcpg1s@4ax.com...
Quote:
Note from Ilena: May God bless and protect this brave doctor from the
ravages of the "guerrillas" from Stephen Barrett's Quack Crusade.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/QuackWatchWatch.htm


VOICE OF THE PEOPLE (LETTER)


http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0607090399jul09,1,1763563.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
Discovering the causes, treatment of autism

David Ayoub, MD
Published July 9, 2006


Springfield -- This is regarding "Painful questions of blame; Parents,
doctors and the disputed link between vaccines and autism"
(Perspective, June 25), by Meg McSherry Breslin, a Tribune staff
reporter.

I am glad you have decided to take on this controversial topic, but I
want to clarify some of the comments the reporter made, particularly
about my own involvement, which I think are misleading, particularly
regarding my own work.

First, I am no longer "trying to dig up evidence to prove" vaccines
cause autism.

There is already abundant evidence, the same conclusion made by a 2003
U.S. Congressional Committee.

This debate is not scientific but is political. I am trying to
encourage physicians who have been badly misled by nothing less than
spin and propaganda to review the extensive scientific evidence for
themselves showing the vaccine-autism link, even though "experts"
disagree. I am also lobbying to get mercury removed from vaccines.

The statement indicating "mercury has been phased out of most
childhood vaccines" is a gross distortion of the truth. The flu
vaccine contains mercury and the number of flu shots given to children
has increased dramatically since 2004.

But the mercury exposure is vastly less. Is this an attempt to disguise
the fact that the incidence of autism is not droppping the way it should
with the dramatic reduction of thiomerosal exposure in various countries,
some well ahead of the United States? Should the incidence not have
dropped at least those of the 1970s, when far fewer vaccines were being
given?

Does anyone have true figures for the incidence? (Not the VAERS fidures
that the Geiers have been working from. They are clearly being distorted by
aberrant reporting behaviour.)

Peter Mroan
..


Quote:

The "passion" that Breslin wrote of that provides my motivation does
not come from the fact that this disorder of autism is difficult to
manage. Many illnesses are difficult to manage.

The passion comes from the fact that this is a preventable disorder,
we are still harming children by injecting them an amount of mercury
that some believe is unsafe and the disorder is treatable. Everyone in
Breslin's article who denies the link in fact has a conflict of
interest or strong bias to not believe it is a vaccine issue.

There are many peer-reviewed papers on the success of treating
children through a variety of interventions, mostly dietary and
biological supplements aimed at treating measurable biochemical
abnormalities. If autism is a psychiatric disorder, then why do
children have abnormal laboratories in dozens of tests that evaluate
the immune system, biochemical derangements, nutritional deficiencies,
infectious agents and toxicological abnormalities, to name a few.
Autism is beyond the expertise of psychiatrists and psychologists who
can only use behavioral therapy or drugs to treat.

The idea that mercury is associated with a neurodevelopmental disorder
is not restricted to parents. There are more than 500 physicians in
the U.S. treating children and improvements can be substantial and
total reversals are possible.

This is not a wishful-thinking statement coming from a parent but from
a physician who has witnessed this happening firsthand.

Please tell both sides of this important story.
Back to top
BreastImplantAwareness.or
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

Jeff P Utz claims:

Quote:
I am nearly 100% sure that autism is not caused by vaccines, which is the question


I recall when you claimed that there was "no evidence" that silicone
implants had harmed anyone.

That was AFTER nearly 250,000 women had filed adverse reports to the
FDA from the harm done to them by silicone implants (you called them
incorrectly 'silicon') ...

Since you are so prolific in defending mercury in vaccinations ... and
for years claimed you were a pediatrician or "kidsdoc" ... perhaps you
could share with the readers here who believe you why you were never
given an unrestricted medical license and no longer have any medical
license.

What happened that after years and years of med school ... around 5 or
6 with a RESTRICTED license ... you now have none.

I would grade your ability to look at evidence and draw conclusions to
be at an F level ...

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/QuackWatchWatch.htm
Back to top
Bryan Heit
medicine forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

Peter Moran wrote:
Quote:
The statement indicating "mercury has been phased out of most
childhood vaccines" is a gross distortion of the truth. The flu
vaccine contains mercury and the number of flu shots given to children
has increased dramatically since 2004.


But the mercury exposure is vastly less. Is this an attempt to disguise
the fact that the incidence of autism is not droppping the way it should
with the dramatic reduction of thiomerosal exposure in various countries,
some well ahead of the United States? Should the incidence not have
dropped at least those of the 1970s, when far fewer vaccines were being
given?

Does anyone have true figures for the incidence? (Not the VAERS fidures
that the Geiers have been working from. They are clearly being distorted by
aberrant reporting behaviour.)


Here's the figures for Quebec, Canada. Has both pre- and -post
mercury-containing vaccine data. Autism incidence was measured in the
same population; the rate of autistics didn't vary greatly from the
rates published in other western countries:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/118/1/e139?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=autism+quebec&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT#R7

Bryan
Back to top
Mark Probert
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 1720

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

Bryan Heit wrote:
Quote:
Peter Moran wrote:
The statement indicating "mercury has been phased out of most
childhood vaccines" is a gross distortion of the truth. The flu
vaccine contains mercury and the number of flu shots given to children
has increased dramatically since 2004.


But the mercury exposure is vastly less. Is this an attempt to
disguise the fact that the incidence of autism is not droppping the
way it should with the dramatic reduction of thiomerosal exposure in
various countries, some well ahead of the United States? Should the
incidence not have dropped at least those of the 1970s, when far fewer
vaccines were being given?

Does anyone have true figures for the incidence? (Not the VAERS
fidures that the Geiers have been working from. They are clearly
being distorted by aberrant reporting behaviour.)


Here's the figures for Quebec, Canada. Has both pre- and -post
mercury-containing vaccine data. Autism incidence was measured in the
same population; the rate of autistics didn't vary greatly from the
rates published in other western countries:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/118/1/e139?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=autism+quebec&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT#R7

Since other western countries exposed their children to different
amounts of thimerosal, if there were causality, would their not be
higher rates at higher doses?
Back to top
\"Jan Drew\"
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 353

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

"Bryan Heit" <bjheit@NOSPAMucalgary.ca> wrote:
Quote:
Peter Moran wrote:
The statement indicating "mercury has been phased out of most
childhood vaccines" is a gross distortion of the truth. The flu
vaccine contains mercury and the number of flu shots given to children
has increased dramatically since 2004.


But the mercury exposure is vastly less. Is this an attempt to disguise
the fact that the incidence of autism is not droppping the way it should
with the dramatic reduction of thiomerosal exposure in various countries,
some well ahead of the United States? Should the incidence not have
dropped at least those of the 1970s, when far fewer vaccines were being
given?

Does anyone have true figures for the incidence? (Not the VAERS
fidures that the Geiers have been working from. They are clearly being
distorted by aberrant reporting behaviour.)


Here's the figures for Quebec, Canada. Has both pre- and -post
mercury-containing vaccine data. Autism incidence was measured in the
same population; the rate of autistics didn't vary greatly from the rates
published in other western countries:

http://pediatrics

Not a good source.

http://www.commercialexploitation.org/news/articles/aapdcoke.htm

http://www.hipmama.com/node/588

http://www.ahrp.org/infomail/04/07/20.php

http://www.wcanews.com/archives/2000/May/may0100wca.htm
Quote:

Bryan
Back to top
Eric Bohlman
medicine forum addict


Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

Mark Probert <markprobert@lumbercartel.com> wrote in
news:0LBsg.14$yS1.0@fe09.lga:

Quote:
Since other western countries exposed their children to different
amounts of thimerosal, if there were causality, would their not be
higher rates at higher doses?

C'mon, get with the program. Don't you know that "dose-response
relationship" (ya know, the thing that convinced scientists that smoking
caused lung cancer, even in the absence of randomized trials) is a "pharm
concept"? (for the benefit of the literal-minded, and especially the
selectively litteral minded, I must state that this post was written while
I was experiencing a serious linguobuccal impaction.)
Back to top
cathyb
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

Eric Bohlman wrote:
Quote:
Mark Probert <markprobert@lumbercartel.com> wrote in
news:0LBsg.14$yS1.0@fe09.lga:

Since other western countries exposed their children to different
amounts of thimerosal, if there were causality, would their not be
higher rates at higher doses?

C'mon, get with the program. Don't you know that "dose-response
relationship" (ya know, the thing that convinced scientists that smoking
caused lung cancer, even in the absence of randomized trials) is a "pharm
concept"? (for the benefit of the literal-minded, and especially the
selectively litteral minded, I must state that this post was written while
I was experiencing a serious linguobuccal impaction.)

I disagree with the author of the site below, in that I think
"linguobuccal" *is* 'a needless and gratuitously sesquipedalian
substitute for the term, "tongue-in-cheek." ' Regardless of any
psychological damage inflicted on said author by Monty Python.

The addition of "impaction" to "linguobuccal" is simply that of insult
to injury:)

However, I anticipate your earliest recovery from this discombobulating
condition.

http://marekshemanski.com/glossary/linguobuccal.html

Cathy
Back to top
Eric Bohlman
medicine forum addict


Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

"cathyb" <cathybeesley@optusnet.com.au> wrote in
news:1152590165.194244.5050@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Quote:
I disagree with the author of the site below, in that I think
"linguobuccal" *is* 'a needless and gratuitously sesquipedalian
substitute for the term, "tongue-in-cheek." ' Regardless of any
psychological damage inflicted on said author by Monty Python.

The addition of "impaction" to "linguobuccal" is simply that of insult
to injury:)

However, I anticipate your earliest recovery from this
discombobulating condition.

http://marekshemanski.com/glossary/linguobuccal.html

Are you accusing me of non-substantiadely engaging in the failure to
eschew gratuitous obfuscation in the interest of promulgating
sophistications [1] of quotidian locutions for a subset of the
conceptualized continuum?

[1] <rant>The secondary school district from which I graduated (in the
North American versions of education, secondary schools actually award
credentials based on coursework rather than independent examination, and
start at age 14 or 15, rather than 11 as in the rest of the English-
speaking world) recently (about 6 years ago) re-christened their Physical
Education (i.e. gym class) department as the "Department of Kinetic
Wellness," said moniker being required to appear on the shirts of
students participating in the (legally required, unlike most of the US)
activities conducted by said department. By the way, we're talking about
the most prestigious public (i.e. state) school system in the US. Back
when I was a kid, we used to wear our "gym clothes" for stuff like mowing
the lawn or just hanging out without any embarassment (the kids from our
rival Catholic school were always wearing their gym shirts and shorts
when they gathered a few blocks off-campus to smoke). The new moniker
has more-or-less precluded that. What teenager wants to wear a shirt
that says "kinetic Wellness" around his buddies?</rant>
Back to top
cathyb
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

Eric Bohlman wrote:
Quote:
"cathyb" <cathybeesley@optusnet.com.au> wrote in
news:1152590165.194244.5050@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I disagree with the author of the site below, in that I think
"linguobuccal" *is* 'a needless and gratuitously sesquipedalian
substitute for the term, "tongue-in-cheek." ' Regardless of any
psychological damage inflicted on said author by Monty Python.

The addition of "impaction" to "linguobuccal" is simply that of insult
to injury:)

However, I anticipate your earliest recovery from this
discombobulating condition.

http://marekshemanski.com/glossary/linguobuccal.html

Are you accusing me of non-substantiadely engaging in the failure to
eschew gratuitous obfuscation in the interest of promulgating
sophistications [1] of quotidian locutions for a subset of the
conceptualized continuum?

Er, maybe.

Quote:

[1] <rant>The secondary school district from which I graduated (in the
North American versions of education, secondary schools actually award
credentials based on coursework rather than independent examination, and
start at age 14 or 15, rather than 11 as in the rest of the English-
speaking world) recently (about 6 years ago) re-christened their Physical
Education (i.e. gym class) department as the "Department of Kinetic
Wellness," said moniker being required to appear on the shirts of
students participating in the (legally required, unlike most of the US)
activities conducted by said department. By the way, we're talking about
the most prestigious public (i.e. state) school system in the US. Back
when I was a kid, we used to wear our "gym clothes" for stuff like mowing
the lawn or just hanging out without any embarassment (the kids from our
rival Catholic school were always wearing their gym shirts and shorts
when they gathered a few blocks off-campus to smoke). The new moniker
has more-or-less precluded that. What teenager wants to wear a shirt
that says "kinetic Wellness" around his buddies?</rant

It was a splendid rant; to think I get pissed off because my kids
follow a "Study of Societies and Environment" instead of history and
geography. Although PE has been turned into GOALS--"The Gap Outdoors
Leadership and Adventure Studies". Ew.
Back to top
pmoran@bordernet.com.au
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

"Bryan Heit" <bjheit@NOSPAMucalgary.ca> wrote in message
news:e8uhvj$30u$2@news.ucalgary.ca...
Quote:
Peter Moran wrote:
The statement indicating "mercury has been phased out of most
childhood vaccines" is a gross distortion of the truth. The flu
vaccine contains mercury and the number of flu shots given to children
has increased dramatically since 2004.


But the mercury exposure is vastly less. Is this an attempt to disguise
the fact that the incidence of autism is not droppping the way it should
with the dramatic reduction of thiomerosal exposure in various countries,
some well ahead of the United States? Should the incidence not have
dropped at least those of the 1970s, when far fewer vaccines were being
given?

Does anyone have true figures for the incidence? (Not the VAERS
fidures that the Geiers have been working from. They are clearly being
distorted by aberrant reporting behaviour.)


Here's the figures for Quebec, Canada. Has both pre- and -post
mercury-containing vaccine data. Autism incidence was measured in the
same population; the rate of autistics didn't vary greatly from the rates
published in other western countries:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/118/1/e139?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=autism+quebec&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT#R7

Bryan

Thanks. This would appear to conclusively prove that neither thiomerasol or
MMR vaccine are responsible for autism, at least in Quebec,.

Peter
Back to top
Jason
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 1119

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Letter on Autism in Chicago Tribune Reply with quote

In article <44b357e4$0$22363$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, "Peter Moran"
<pmoranATbodernet.com.au> wrote:

"Bryan Heit" <bjheit@NOSPAMucalgary.ca> wrote in message
news:e8uhvj$30u$2@news.ucalgary.ca...
Quote:
Peter Moran wrote:
The statement indicating "mercury has been phased out of most
childhood vaccines" is a gross distortion of the truth. The flu
vaccine contains mercury and the number of flu shots given to children
has increased dramatically since 2004.


But the mercury exposure is vastly less. Is this an attempt to disguise
the fact that the incidence of autism is not droppping the way it should
with the dramatic reduction of thiomerosal exposure in various countries,
some well ahead of the United States? Should the incidence not have
dropped at least those of the 1970s, when far fewer vaccines were being
given?

Does anyone have true figures for the incidence? (Not the VAERS
fidures that the Geiers have been working from. They are clearly being
distorted by aberrant reporting behaviour.)


Here's the figures for Quebec, Canada. Has both pre- and -post
mercury-containing vaccine data. Autism incidence was measured in the
same population; the rate of autistics didn't vary greatly from the rates
published in other western countries:


http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/118/1/e139?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=autism+quebec&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT#R7

Bryan

Thanks. This would appear to conclusively prove that neither thiomerasol or
MMR vaccine are responsible for autism, at least in Quebec,.

Peter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter,
I done a google search for "causes of autism" and found out that
scientists are not 100 per cent sure related to the cause of autism. I
have noticed that various posters on both sides of this issue have
indicated in their posts the following: I am paraphrasing:

thimerosal causes autism.
thimerosal does not cause autism.
mercury causes autism.
mercury doew not cause autism.

The truth is that scientists are NOT 100 percent sure related to the cause
of autism.

Jason
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [43 Posts] Goto page:  1, 2, 3 Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:26 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Medicine forums » nursing
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Why is Banana so Important ? medianext05 nutrition 1 Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:50 am
No new posts Vaccinations & Autism & Breast Implants & Genetics ..... BreastImplantAwareness.or nursing 15 Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:23 pm
No new posts Vaccinations & Autism & Breast Implants & Genetics ... BreastImplantAwareness.or nursing 0 Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:48 am
No new posts Fombonne's autism research is dangerously inaccurate john nursing 18 Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:38 am
No new posts Autism: It's not ancient, it's new. john nursing 76 Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:59 pm

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: email marketing campaigns , electronics forum, Science forum, Unix/Linux blog, Unix/Linux documentation, Unix/Linux forums


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0328s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0025s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]