FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Medicine forums » nursing
Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 14 [198 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Author Message
ziggittes@yahoo.com
medicine forum addict


Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

Well, using the logic and rationale of the anti-vac wacks, anyway.

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=bc8253e7-ec6f-4bbd-a01c-5295b731d3f9&k=7417

=======================================
Mercury in vaccines not cause of autism, study finds

Canadian Press

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

CREDIT: Julie Oliver, Ottawa Citizen
The belief that mercury in vaccines causes autism has prevailed despite
studies that have proven no correlation.

MONTREAL - A new Quebec study casts doubt on the popular theory that
mercury poisoning from childhood vaccinations can cause autism.

The theory has prevailed despite several previous studies around the
world that have failed to find any connection between autism and common
childhood vaccines containing mercury.

But the unique Quebec study, which is to be published next month in
Pediatrics, the official journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics,
could have a big impact on the debate.

Quebec changed its vaccine formula 10 years ago, Eric Fombonne, chief
of pediatric psychiatry at the McGill University Health Centre, told
the 10th International Child Neurology Congress being held in Montreal.

Back to Body & Health

Since 1996, Quebec children have received vaccines without the
mercury-based preservative thimerosol, Fombonne said.

He compared autism rates among kids before the vaccine changed and
after.

"My study is very clear in showing that there's no relationship between
the level of exposure to thimerosol in vaccine and autism," Fombonne
said in an interview.

"In fact, in my study the incidence of (autism) is higher in the years
when there was no mercury."

Some desperate parents, convinced that mercury poisoning is responsible
for their child's condition, have turned to chelation therapy, an
unproven treatment that purports to remove heavy metals from the body,
in the hopes that it will cure the neurological and developmental
disorder.

At least one child has died because of the process, Fombonne said.

"Now these methods are making inroads into Canada," he said.

An anti-vaccine hysteria gripped British parents after an infamous
study purportedly linked the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine with
autism.

The 1998 study has since been discredited, but in the meantime many
parents refused to inoculate their children, leading to a resurgence of
infectious diseases such as measles.

Autism is a disorder that impairs a child's ability to communicate and
interact with others.

Fombonne's department sees about 350 new cases every year, but there's
no "autism epidemic," he said.

The definition of autism has broadened to include more children with a
wide range of difficulties.

An estimated 200,000 Canadians are living with the disorder, a
prevalence of about 65 for every 10,000 people.

"What we need is treatment and services and support for people, and
right across their lifespan," said Louise Fleming, executive director
of Autism Society Canada.

The Edmonton Journal 2006
Back to top
Jeff
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1313

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

<ziggittes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1150841707.806838.261520@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Well, using the logic and rationale of the anti-vac wacks, anyway.

Jeff says:

That's an oxymoron.

Jeff
Back to top
David Wright
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 750

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

In article <1150841707.806838.261520@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<ziggittes@yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:
Well, using the logic and rationale of the anti-vac wacks, anyway.

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=bc8253e7-ec6f-4bbd-a01c-5295b731d3f9&k=7417

I'm sure the Thimerosal Is Evil brigade will be along to denounce this
study any minute now.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
"If you can't say something nice, then sit next to me."
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
Back to top
john
medicine forum addict


Joined: 03 Jun 2006
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

"Jeff" <kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Hr1mg.8866$o4.4582@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
Quote:

ziggittes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1150841707.806838.261520@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Well, using the logic and rationale of the anti-vac wacks, anyway.

Jeff says:

That's an oxymoron.

Jeff

You should know:

"Yet human studies show that DPT is safe" then "DPT is not 100% safe.
Nothing is."--Putz

"Mercury is taken out of vaccines to help ensure their safety. There is no
evidence that the mercury in the vaccines causes any harm. However, the
experts want to make sure that everything is done to keep vaccines as safe
as possible."--Putz
Back to top
Jeff
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1313

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

"john" <sc@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:1pidnV_f55HymwTZRVnyuw@bt.com...
Quote:

"Jeff" <kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Hr1mg.8866$o4.4582@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

ziggittes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1150841707.806838.261520@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Well, using the logic and rationale of the anti-vac wacks, anyway.

Jeff says:

That's an oxymoron.

Jeff

You should know:

"Yet human studies show that DPT is safe" then "DPT is not 100% safe.
Nothing is."--Putz

"Mercury is taken out of vaccines to help ensure their safety. There is no
evidence that the mercury in the vaccines causes any harm. However, the
experts want to make sure that everything is done to keep vaccines as safe
as possible."--Putz

Who is Putz? I don't recall any physician with that name nor any poster in
this forum with that name.

Jeff
Back to top
\"Jan Drew\"
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 353

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

"Jeff" <kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bnmmg.9195$lf4.4660@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
Quote:

"john" <sc@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:1pidnV_f55HymwTZRVnyuw@bt.com...

"Jeff" <kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Hr1mg.8866$o4.4582@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

ziggittes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1150841707.806838.261520@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Well, using the logic and rationale of the anti-vac wacks, anyway.

Jeff says:

That's an oxymoron.

Jeff

You should know:

"Yet human studies show that DPT is safe" then "DPT is not 100% safe.
Nothing is."--Putz

"Mercury is taken out of vaccines to help ensure their safety. There is
no evidence that the mercury in the vaccines causes any harm. However,
the experts want to make sure that everything is done to keep vaccines as
safe as possible."--Putz

Who is Putz? I don't recall any physician with that name nor any poster in
this forum with that name.

Jeff

Sure you don't.

Putz misc.health.alternative

"I no longer practice medicine. So I am no longer licensed." --Jeff Utz, MD
(Jeffrey Peter, M.D. d...@my-deja.com)

Quote:
Message 2 in thread From: Jeffrey Peter, M.D. (d...@my-deja.com) Subject:
Re: "Dr. Kid" ... Newsgroups: misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative
Date: 2000/11/07


Quote:
In article <ilena-0611001830530...@24-25-197-105.san.rr.com>,
i...@san.rr.com (Ilena Rose) wrote:
Are you really a pediatrician ?


Quote:
What state are you licensed in, if so and under what name?


Quote:
I no longer practice medicine. So I am no longer licensed.


Quote:
Jeff Utz


Wed, May 2 2001 6:50 pm
Email: "Jeffrey Peter, M.D." <kidsdoc2...@hotmail.com


**Who is this Putz guy? Certainly, I have not seen someone with that name
**here.


Jeff P Utz <jeff...@juno.com>


It's you ... and you are so deaf, dumb & blind ... you don't even
recognize yourself ... duh ........


Jeff PUtz 's Questions

For starters.
Back to top
john
medicine forum addict


Joined: 03 Jun 2006
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

<ziggittes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1150841707.806838.261520@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Well, using the logic and rationale of the anti-vac wacks, anyway.

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=bc8253e7-ec6f-4bbd-a01c-5295b731d3f9&k=7417

========================================

Quote:
Mercury in vaccines not cause of autism, study finds


I'd love to trust someone who gets paid by vaccine companies
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/fombonne_h.html but I left Noddy Land about 50
years ago
Back to top
yossarian@catch22.net
medicine forum beginner


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

It is a great idea to put a known neurotoxin in something given to a
developing baby. I don't care what research says, that is and always will
be a stupid idea!!!
Back to top
HCN
medicine forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

<yossarian@catch22.net> wrote in message
news:449d7608$0$16351$a82e6bb9@orc.meganetnews.com...
Quote:
It is a great idea to put a known neurotoxin in something given to a
developing baby. I don't care what research says, that is and always will
be a stupid idea!!!

That depends on the dose. Water is lethal if a person drinks way to much
(don't laugh, it has happened that toddlers have been damaged by overdosing
on water).

Also, what would you rather have... a micro-dose of a preservative, or a
bunch of unwanted bacteria that can occur if the medication is not stored
properly (which often happens in more remote parts of the world). Here is
more information:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
Back to top
Jason
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 1119

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

In article <vZmdnYr_wJFwEwDZnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@comcast.com>, "HCN"
<hcn@nospam.com> wrote:

<yossarian@catch22.net> wrote in message
news:449d7608$0$16351$a82e6bb9@orc.meganetnews.com...
Quote:
It is a great idea to put a known neurotoxin in something given to a
developing baby. I don't care what research says, that is and always will
be a stupid idea!!!

That depends on the dose. Water is lethal if a person drinks way to much
(don't laugh, it has happened that toddlers have been damaged by overdosing
on water).

Also, what would you rather have... a micro-dose of a preservative, or a
bunch of unwanted bacteria that can occur if the medication is not stored
properly (which often happens in more remote parts of the world). Here is
more information:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HCN,
Only if the micro-dose of the preservative is safe and does NOT cause
medical problems. There have been some studies done in relation to
thimerosal that indicated that it does cause medical problems in at least
some people. That is one of the reasons that it is no longer used in
various vaccines. If you do not believe me, do a google search related to
thimerosal and visit the sites that mention research studies. I am not a
doctor.
Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top
HCN
medicine forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

"Jason Johnson" <jason@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:jason-2406061302240001@66-52-22-15.lsan.pw-dia.impulse.net...
Quote:
In article <vZmdnYr_wJFwEwDZnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@comcast.com>, "HCN"
hcn@nospam.com> wrote:

yossarian@catch22.net> wrote in message
news:449d7608$0$16351$a82e6bb9@orc.meganetnews.com...
It is a great idea to put a known neurotoxin in something given to a
developing baby. I don't care what research says, that is and always
will
be a stupid idea!!!

That depends on the dose. Water is lethal if a person drinks way to much
(don't laugh, it has happened that toddlers have been damaged by
overdosing
on water).

Also, what would you rather have... a micro-dose of a preservative, or a
bunch of unwanted bacteria that can occur if the medication is not stored
properly (which often happens in more remote parts of the world). Here is
more information:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HCN,
Only if the micro-dose of the preservative is safe and does NOT cause
medical problems. There have been some studies done in relation to
thimerosal that indicated that it does cause medical problems in at least
some people.


And those studies would be what? Can you list them please? Or are they the
ones linked to the Geiers... the folks who created their own review
committee so that they can chemically castrate kids:
http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/article/98/an-elusive-institute-significant-misrepresentations-mark-geier-david-geier-the-evolution-of-the-lupron-protocol-part-two


That is one of the reasons that it is no longer used in
Quote:
various vaccines.

No, it was for political reasons and because of fearmongering.

Quote:
If you do not believe me, do a google search related to

GOOGLE is a stupid place to do the research. Do a search with it for
thimerosal and you will come up with banner ads for lawyers trying convince
parents to sue (like the ones who pay for the Geiers), OR scam artists who
want to sell cures for it, like Buttar and his cream
(http://www.kevinleitch.co.uk/wp/?p=383 ) or others (though a check on it
shows that the link I posted is the first hit!)

You need to use www.pubmed.gov for starters, and then read up on the various
issues. For starters, start with the link I provided that gives a history of
the use of thimerosal and the science behind it... PLUS a list of all the
vaccines and the amount of thimerosal in each one (which was the first hit
on Google, so did you read it?).

By the way there are differences between elemental mercury, thimerosal,
methymercury and ethylmercury. Try to keep it straight... because next
thing you know someone will tell us table salt is poisonous because it
contains deadly chlorine and sodium (the latter tends to blow up it it comes
into contact with water!).


Quote:
thimerosal and visit the sites that mention research studies. I am not a
doctor.

No, and you did not even take your own advice with google... because if you
had this would have been the first thing on the list:
http://www.fda.gov/CBER/vaccine/thimerosal.htm ... does it look familiar?
Oh, yeah... it the one I used!


Quote:
Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top
Mark Probert
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 1720

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

Jason Johnson wrote:
Quote:
In article <vZmdnYr_wJFwEwDZnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@comcast.com>, "HCN"
hcn@nospam.com> wrote:

yossarian@catch22.net> wrote in message
news:449d7608$0$16351$a82e6bb9@orc.meganetnews.com...
It is a great idea to put a known neurotoxin in something given to a
developing baby. I don't care what research says, that is and always will
be a stupid idea!!!

That depends on the dose. Water is lethal if a person drinks way to much
(don't laugh, it has happened that toddlers have been damaged by overdosing
on water).

Also, what would you rather have... a micro-dose of a preservative, or a
bunch of unwanted bacteria that can occur if the medication is not stored
properly (which often happens in more remote parts of the world). Here is
more information:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HCN,
Only if the micro-dose of the preservative is safe and does NOT cause
medical problems. There have been some studies done in relation to
thimerosal that indicated that it does cause medical problems in at least
some people. That is one of the reasons that it is no longer used in
various vaccines.

Incorrect. It was removed from the single dose vaccines because the FDA
was concerned that the anti-vac liar fear mongering would have the
effect of lowering uptake and affect overall herd immunity.

That is what happened in the UK, and look at what is going on there now.

If you do not believe me, do a google search related to
Quote:
thimerosal and visit the sites that mention research studies. I am not a
doctor.
Jason


> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to top
David Wright
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 750

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

In article <449d7608$0$16351$a82e6bb9@orc.meganetnews.com>,
<yossarian@catch22.net> wrote:
Quote:
It is a great idea to put a known neurotoxin in something given to a
developing baby. I don't care what research says, that is and always will
be a stupid idea!!!

"I don't care about you guys and all your fancy scientific evidence!
My mind is made up! Stop confusing me with facts!"

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
"If you can't say something nice, then sit next to me."
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
Back to top
David Wright
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 750

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

In article <FPidnQqPNYDnvADZRVny1g@bt.com>, john <sc@nospam.com> wrote:
Quote:

ziggittes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1150841707.806838.261520@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Well, using the logic and rationale of the anti-vac wacks, anyway.

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=bc8253e7-ec6f-4bbd-a01c-5295b731d3f9&k=7417

========================================

Mercury in vaccines not cause of autism, study finds

I'd love to trust someone who gets paid by vaccine companies
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/fombonne_h.html but I left Noddy Land about 50
years ago

And went back, never to leave again, about 49 years ago.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
"If you can't say something nice, then sit next to me."
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
Back to top
Jason
medicine forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 1119

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thimerosal in vaccines reduces incidence of autism Reply with quote

In article <u5edneSUmuycOgDZnZ2dnUVZ_vSdnZ2d@comcast.com>, "HCN"
<hcn@nospam.com> wrote:

"Jason Johnson" <jason@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:jason-2406061302240001@66-52-22-15.lsan.pw-dia.impulse.net...
Quote:
In article <vZmdnYr_wJFwEwDZnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@comcast.com>, "HCN"
hcn@nospam.com> wrote:

yossarian@catch22.net> wrote in message
news:449d7608$0$16351$a82e6bb9@orc.meganetnews.com...
It is a great idea to put a known neurotoxin in something given to a
developing baby. I don't care what research says, that is and always
will
be a stupid idea!!!

That depends on the dose. Water is lethal if a person drinks way to much
(don't laugh, it has happened that toddlers have been damaged by
overdosing
on water).

Also, what would you rather have... a micro-dose of a preservative, or a
bunch of unwanted bacteria that can occur if the medication is not stored
properly (which often happens in more remote parts of the world). Here is
more information:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HCN,
Only if the micro-dose of the preservative is safe and does NOT cause
medical problems. There have been some studies done in relation to
thimerosal that indicated that it does cause medical problems in at least
some people.


And those studies would be what? Can you list them please? Or are they the
ones linked to the Geiers... the folks who created their own review
committee so that they can chemically castrate kids:

http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/article/98/an-elusive-institute-significant-misrepresentations-mark-geier-david-geier-the-evolution-of-the-lupron-protocol-part-two


That is one of the reasons that it is no longer used in
Quote:
various vaccines.

No, it was for political reasons and because of fearmongering.

Quote:
If you do not believe me, do a google search related to

GOOGLE is a stupid place to do the research. Do a search with it for
thimerosal and you will come up with banner ads for lawyers trying convince
parents to sue (like the ones who pay for the Geiers), OR scam artists who
want to sell cures for it, like Buttar and his cream
(http://www.kevinleitch.co.uk/wp/?p=383 ) or others (though a check on it
shows that the link I posted is the first hit!)

You need to use www.pubmed.gov for starters, and then read up on the various
issues. For starters, start with the link I provided that gives a history of
the use of thimerosal and the science behind it... PLUS a list of all the
vaccines and the amount of thimerosal in each one (which was the first hit
on Google, so did you read it?).

By the way there are differences between elemental mercury, thimerosal,
methymercury and ethylmercury. Try to keep it straight... because next
thing you know someone will tell us table salt is poisonous because it
contains deadly chlorine and sodium (the latter tends to blow up it it comes
into contact with water!).


Quote:
thimerosal and visit the sites that mention research studies. I am not a
doctor.

No, and you did not even take your own advice with google... because if you
had this would have been the first thing on the list:
http://www.fda.gov/CBER/vaccine/thimerosal.htm ... does it look familiar?
Oh, yeah... it the one I used!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,
I done a google search and only visited the sites that mentioned a study.
This is the first study that I found:

Medical News Today
Thimerosal, found in childhood vaccines, can increase the risk of
autism-like damage in mice
09 Jun 2004

A new study indicates that postnatal exposure to thimerosal, a mercury
preservative commonly used in a number of childhood vaccines, can lead to
the development of autism-like damage in autoimmune disease susceptible
mice. This animal model, the first to show that the administration of
low-dose ethylmercury can lead to behavioral and neurological changes in
the developing brain, reinforces previous studies showing that a genetic
predisposition affects risk in combination with certain environmental
triggers. The study was conducted by researchers at the Jerome L. and Dawn
Greene

Infectious Disease Laboratory at the Mailman School of Public Health,
Columbia University. Over the past 20 years, there has been a striking
increase--at least ten-fold since 1985--in the number of children
diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders. Genetic factors alone cannot
account for this rise in prevalence. Researchers at the Mailman School,
led by Dr. Mady Hornig, created an animal model to explore the
relationship between thimerosal (ethylmercury) and autism, hypothesizing
that the combination of genetic susceptibility and environmental exposure
to mercury in childhood vaccines may cause neurotoxicity.

Cumulative mercury burden through other sources, including in utero
exposures to mercury in fish or vaccines, may also lead to damage in
susceptible hosts. Timing and quantity of thimerosal dosing for the mouse
model were developed using the U.S. immunization schedule for children,
with doses calculated for mice based on 10th percentile weight of U.S.
boys at age two, four, six, and twelve months.

The researchers found the subset of autoimmune disease susceptible mice
with thimerosal exposure to express many important aspects of the
behavioral and neuropathologic features of autism spectrum disorders,
including:

Abnormal response to novel environments;

Behavioral impoverishment (limited range of behaviors and decreased
exploration of environment); Significant abnormalities in brain
architecture, affecting areas subserving emotion and cognition; Increased
brain size.

These findings have relevance for identification of autism cases relating
to environmental factors; design of treatment strategies; and development
of rational immunization programs. The use of thimerosal in vaccines has
been reduced over the past few years, although it is still present in some
influenza vaccines. Identifying the connection between genetic
susceptibility and an environmental trigger for autism--in this case
thimerosal exposure--is important because it may promote discovery of
effective interventions for and limit exposure in a specific population,
stated the lead author Dr. Mady Hornig. Because the developing brain can
be exposed to toxins that are long gone by the time symptoms appear, clues
gathered in these animal models can then be evaluated through prospective
human birth cohorts--providing a powerful to tool to dissect the
interaction between genes and the environment over time.

Citation source: Molecular Psychiatry 2004 Volume 9, advance on line
publication doi:10.1038/sj.mp.4001529

For further information on this work, please contact Mady Hornig, MD,
Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health, Greene Infectious
Disease Laboratory, 722 W 168th St, New York, New York 10032, United
States of America, phone: 212-342-9036; FAX: 949-824-1229; e-mail:
mh2092@columbia.edu

ARTICLE: "Neurotoxic effects of postnatal thimerosal are mouse strain-dependent"

M Hornig, D Chian, W. I. Lipkin

Greene Infectious Disease Laboratory, Mailman School of Public Health,
Columbia University, 722 W 168th St, New York, New York 10032

----------------------------------------

Molecular Psychiatry is published by the Nature Publishing Group.
http://www.nature.com/mp

Editor: Julio Licinio, M.D.; phone: 310-825-7113; FAX: 310-206-6715;
e-mail: licinio@ucla.edu

Contact: Julio Licinio
licinio@ucla.edu
310-825-7113
Molecular Psychiatry

Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=9300
Save time! Get the latest medical news headlines for your specialist area,
in a weekly newsletter e-mail. See
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsletters.php for details.
Send your press releases to pressrelease@medicalnewstoday.com
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 14 [198 Posts] Goto page:  1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:51 pm | All times are GMT
Forum index » Medicine forums » nursing
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Vaccinations & Autism & Breast Implants & Genetics ..... BreastImplantAwareness.or nursing 15 Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:23 pm
No new posts Vaccinations & Autism & Breast Implants & Genetics ... BreastImplantAwareness.or nursing 0 Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:48 am
No new posts Fombonne's autism research is dangerously inaccurate john nursing 18 Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:38 am
No new posts The TRUTH Thimerosal IS 49.6% mercury by weight \"Jan Drew\" nursing 15 Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:50 am
No new posts Autism: It's not ancient, it's new. john nursing 76 Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:59 pm

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: email marketing campaigns , electronics forum, Science forum, Unix/Linux blog, Unix/Linux documentation, Unix/Linux forums


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0537s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0044s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]